Heat Affecting My Girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksgalore, Jul 30, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I have 19 mature hens right now and am only getting 7 or 8 eggs a day. Anyone have any ideas on keeping the girls cool?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Depending on the size of your waterers you can freeze blocks of ice and put it in the water. Freeze gallon jugs of water and set them out for the hens to lay against. Use a fan in the coop. If you give treats put it in the freezer and let it get icey but not brick hard and give it in the hottest part of the day.

Heat stress can make them stop laying and even lay some odd eggs.

3. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Angie, is there ANYTHING you don't know about chickens?
    [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't know alot of things. [​IMG] Genetics is the big one. [​IMG]

I do know chicken behaviors and care is fairly predictable. [​IMG]

5. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    We buy ice cream in those 5 1/2 qt buckets. We reuse the buckets for a lot of things, but most recently we fill them with water and freeze. We then put 1 or 2 out and take off the lids. The chickens lay around them and as the ice melts they also drink from them. HTHs

6. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    It is very hot here (95 with a heat index to 110) and my hens are doing fine with their laying. I give them lots of cool water every day and I also try to cool them off with cold treats. I even will mist them with cool water in the afternoon when it is so hot. I also have used the bags of ice in their water. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Great, I'm going to try some of these things!

8. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It has been very hot where I am with temps in the mid to upper 90's with heat indexes of 105.

I too do the ice in their water but what I have found works the best is the garden hose.

I simply use the shower setting and well get them wet. I must admit they don't like it much but the heavy panting and wings held out from the body stops. Since I started doing this several years ago I have only lost one bird to heat and she was approaching 8 years of age.

My personal experience, (showing my age I have over 35 years) is that the night time tempature affects egg production and survivability.
    If the nightime temp stays 80 or higher it is extremely tough on chickens. They simply do not cool down at any point during a 24 hour period.

The one thing with the garden hose is they will run from you so this can stress them. I simply move slowly while I am in the run, I only turn the faucet on about 25% pressure and avoid as much as possible in getting their heads wet.

Hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by