Heat and 3 week old chics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iowachild, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Iowachild

Iowachild New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Thanks in advance for advice. I have three week old chics that are doing great in coop and run. We are having extreme heat right now and one of the things I read said frozen watermelon to help keep chickens cool but I've also read they are two young to introduce this. Looking for ways to keep them happy, healthy and help cool them down.

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I don't think they are too young. We do them a great disservice by not "thinking" more like a Chicken Mama and less like a "Chicken Keeper" sometimes. Mama Hen wouldn't hesitate to take them over to a nice, cold watermelon on a hot day and showing them that it was good to eat, even if they were just days old. Anytime she spots something good to eat, she makes a beeline for it, and her chicks follow, eating whatever she's enjoying. So let 'em eat watermelon! [​IMG]

3. Iowachild

Iowachild New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Thank you. Got a watermelon this am had it in the freezer for about 5 hours and took it out to them waiting to see if they are interested. Also put a fan blowing on one end of the run.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You are very welcome! I should also gave added that watermelon doesn't have to frozen to help them cool down a little - just the extra water in them helps rehydrate chicks (and chickens) very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by