1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CariLynn, Jun 9, 2011.

1. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    It is that time of year again...the heat is horrid here in Northern VA, yesterday it was 102 and today it is 100 at the moment, at 16:30 in the afternoon. [​IMG] Because I have no electricity in the coop and yard area, the husband is now looking at a solar panel for me, so I went to Wal Mart and got two medium type fans that run on 8 D batteries and put them on either side of their smaller coop for a cross breeze. I then got cold water and put electrolytes in their water and put out several pieces of watermelon out for them too as I had thought maybe because they are so juicy, that would be good for them. Is there anything else I can do to help?

I feel horrid to go out and see them panting, their wings out, and a few dust bathing and laying there. The panting is what concerns me the most....

2. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I think you're doing what you can. I'm assuming they have some shade. Panting is what they do, kind of like a dog. Mine seem to like it when I spray their run down with cool water and add ice to their waterers.

3. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Oh yes, their coop and run yard is under our tree's so they have shade 90% of the day..it is only in the morning that they get sun.

4. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    The fan is a good idea and one I've been thinking of. Mine are panting too and the temp has only been 92" at the highest here so far. Does your coop have cross ventilation? Ours has 2 nice sized windows on one side. The other side has the nesting boxes and a separate storage box which is accessible from the outside of the coop. We prop the wood lid on the storage box to create a cross breeze. The storage box is fool proof to would be prediators. It is secured by a wire cage lid my husband put togther. Ice cubes in the water and hosing down the run is a good idea too. Good luck keeping the chicks cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by