heat and humidity

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicks in Tampa, Jun 15, 2011.

1. chicks in Tampa

chicks in Tampa New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    it's hot and humid here ... would my chicks like water to play in?

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Yes they sure would. Many people create an "ocean breeze" by placing a sprinkler in front of a fan, blowing in the direction of thier run. They may also play in a sprinkler as well. Some also get a little kiddy pool or something of that nature and put some water in it for them to wade in. I'm sure you will get some other suggestions as well! Enjoy your sunshine. [​IMG]

3. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm in Ocala and feeling your pain! 98 here today..are you kidding????? Not to mention the humidity..ugh. I hung a mister in their favorite tree and I put out extra large pans with water with an old milk jug filled with frozen water in each and it seems to help. Good luck!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Guys chickens can't swim. Giving them water to play in would be a death sentence. Shower them with the hose or something instead.

5. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Quote:The times I've used a baby pool I've only put about 2 inches of water and they did just fine, mostly just drank it..no swimming!

6. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    It's over 90 today so I tried the whole putting water in a shallow container. The thing is, these chickens now don't want to step in the water; they kick up dirt and dust in it and then they'll drink it. They have cool water in their waterer and as babies they used to stand in their water dishes, and now they don't want to?! [​IMG]
    I think I'll just stick to spraying them with the hose. Makes them go nuts but at least they stay cool for a couple hours.

7. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

My son went to give ours fresh water and dropped the gallon jug. He said they went crazy playing in the puddle of water and mud! Piled on top of each other like cold babies.........stan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by