Heat and light question

channel12001

Chirping
9 Years
May 16, 2010
I have 8 chicks almost 5 weeks old. They are kept inside and with the warmer temps I started just using a 75 watt bulb but only at night. They are kept in a finished basement so it is a bit darker down there even with all the blinds open. The bulb was on a timer and I began to notice that the chicks were super active at night with the light and were sleeping and roosting during the day without the light. I think the bulb was much brighter than the regular room light during the day and they started to mix up day and night! The past few days, I stopped using the light all together and they are now up and active during daylight and sleeping at night. I still have a small night light just for some ambient light. Is it possible that they could have confused day and night with the light on a timer?? They seem fine without the heat at night and are feathered nicely. Do they still need the heat at night??

NewHen

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2010
Los Angeles
I used a red brooder heat lamp and that was okay, but if my plasma TV or the room light was on they'd wake up and start chirping.

LittleChocobo

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
I can't say about chickens for certain, but when I had parakeets, just dropping towels over their cage to block out the light would make them fall asleep no matter what time it is.

becstalls

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 22, 2010
I'm new to this too, but mine have had a light on 24/7, and that will probably continue as they are outside now and it looks as though it's gonna be fairly chilly the next few days. They don't seem to be confused--they just do 20 minutes sleeping, 20 minutes eating.

Top Bottom