Heat and Shipping?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Connorrm, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Has anyone had any issues with having eggs shipped in this heat? Would it be better to wait for it to die down a bit? I'm getting anxious wanting to ship in some non-hatchery Delawares!

2. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Heat? I wore a fleece outside yesterday [​IMG]

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Why how hot is it in NY. The weather has just been lovely here in Ohio. Low to mid 80's and nights in the high 50's to mid 60's. I Just had about 3 dozen shipped. I don't know what kind of problem you could have other then they start to develop
    Michele

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I totally didnt think about the heat! [​IMG] I have 6 duck eggs coming on the 23rd throuth the 29th I dont know when. I hope the little guys make it.

I have some ducklings coming on the 29th if that does anything? Just kidding lol, happy hatching to all!

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

The eggs I got in July were in bad shape.. but the ones I got earlier this month are doing pretty darn good for shipped eggs.. AND it was hotter in early August than it was in mid July.. I think the handling the eggs receive in transit makes a bigger difference than the temperatures... after all.. most people who ship have a lot of packing materials in the boxes..which does help to insulate the eggs a bit (not saying temps dont play a part.. just that rough handling makes a bigger difference than temperature)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by