Heat bases for metal waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HarlansHollowFarms, Jul 8, 2010.

1. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Has anyone used these? How do you position them in the coop? Is it a fire hazard when you have pine shavings on the coop floor?

We live in Montana and regu;arly have -30F or colder, and this year I would like to get a base to make watering easier.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    A base of bricks or paving blocks? Just add a layer of blocks when the litter gets deeper?

3. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    I have though about that, and I think that is a good idea. Just want to make sure I don't start the coop ablaze!

4. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I use a layer of bricks under mine. Make sure the base is completely underlaid by the bricks, pavers, whatever because if there is any opening mice will get under, build a nest and chew through the electrical wires. I've learned the hard way: came out on a 0-degree morning and found the water frozen solid. Also I have found, on the average, these might last through 3 winters--they will rust through. BTW, these are for metal waterers, never use on poly ones.

5. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up on the mice...that is something I would not have thought of!

6. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Shouldn't be that hard to use a hand warmer on the bottem of the base, should it?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  7. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I didn't either until I lifted up the heater and dumped out the nice cozy feathered nest. Just when you think you've got everything figured out something will jump up and bite you just to prove you're wrong.

8. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:I have an 8-gallon, double-walled, galvanized waterer on a galvanized heater designed to keep the water above freezing--last winter, after several days in the teens the water in the top couple of inches of the waterer froze. Therefore I doubt a hand warmer would work. This was also in an insulated coop with a dozen and half adult birds and enough manure around to keep temperatures up. Granted the waterer might have been a bit close to the window but these heaters are not designed to keep temperatures too high either.

9. HarlansHollowFarms

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:I do not think a habd warmer will work when it is -40 for several weeks. Last year I used a heat lamp, the water still froze in the plastic waters and they broke, but the end of winter I was using a smal cooler, seemed to work fine. This year I have a double walled galivinized 5 gallon waterer, just looking to make winter watering a bit easier.....
    to bad I can put a plug heater in the waterer like I do the horses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by