Heat Bulb Advice

Bartlett927

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2018
Dorset, England
Hi everyone just looking for some advice on heat bulb, is the one I have in pictures suitable for ducklings, I previously had a red light in with them but I noticed they were starting to shut there eyes constantly so I’ve tried a clear coloured one and this was all I could find.
Does anyone have knowledge on UVB & UVA with ducklings? Will it harm them ?
Any help will be much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 00B0F405-78A2-489E-A682-3131B80ABE51.jpeg
    00B0F405-78A2-489E-A682-3131B80ABE51.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 6C2F8082-228F-4F54-9766-8733B4E00C29.jpeg
    6C2F8082-228F-4F54-9766-8733B4E00C29.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 4
UVA and UVB light is not bad for birds. It will help keep the birds from pulling feathers, and some other painful conditions/habits. D3 lights, however, do not help with D3 production in birds at all as they do in reptiles.

I am not sure exactly how safe it is to use a reptile basking light on ducklings; I'd imagine that the temperatures achieved by basking lights could be higher than those of heat lamps. Though 100W will not achieve that power.

Personally, I think you could use that light for brooding ducklings. I would wait for others to chime in first before you make a final decision, however.

UVA and UVB light is not bad for birds. It will help keep the birds from pulling feathers, and some other painful conditions/habits. D3 lights, however, do not help with D3 production in birds at all as they do in reptiles.

I am not sure exactly how safe it is to use a reptile basking light on ducklings; I'd imagine that the temperatures achieved by basking lights could be higher than those of heat lamps. Though 100W will not achieve that power.

Personally, I think you could use that light for brooding ducklings. I would wait for others to chime in first before you make a final decision, however.

Thank you for your advice, I’ve been looking at other threads online and I can’t see anything that is strongly against the use of these but hopefully someone can jump in and give a final verdict!
Many thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom