1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat causing decrease in eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i live in southern cali and its been really hot the past week, 90+. We have only been getting 5-7 eggs a day compared to 2 weeks ago when we where getting 10-12 a day. I know the squirrels are taking some but i cant image they are taking 5+ a day. Will the temp cause them to slow down in laying?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes, they will eat less in hot weather and may not get the nutrition required to keep up with egg production.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep. I'm not seeing a significant slow down with my brahmas, but my younger flock - SS, EEs, SFs, turkens, silkies, etc., have slowed down.
    I can't say I blame them when it's over 100* outside and I'm actually relieved to see them visting the hot, stuff nestboxes less.

4. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Ok thanks. Ya i haven't noticed a drop in laying from my brahmas or leghorns but i have in all the rest.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Doesnt everybody and everything slow down from extreme heat? I know I am not exempt. Personally I dont know how a chicken does what it does everyday,so if they want to take a day of because its hot its ok by me. Just wish they would let know before i walk down to the coop. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Other than molting, I don't think anything slows my brahma girls down. They lay well when it's cold, they lay well when it's hot. [​IMG]

7. suburbanAZchick

suburbanAZchick New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    I have 8 ladies who were averaging 6-7 eggs a day until the temps went over 110. Now I'm getting 3-4 if I'm lucky. Usually I can sell enough eggs that they can pay for their own crumbles. They are definitely behind on rent this month!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by