We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Heat, Coccidiosis, and a Predator Attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmgirl1878, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    Not a good week to be a chicken at Redstreaker Hollow Farms... On top of temps and humidity in the 90’s and a nasty bout of coccidiosis, my SS year-old hen, Dotty, was attacked yesterday morning. I was filling the waterer with Corid while the flockers were hanging around watching (outside the run). Dotty apparently wandered off into the woods. The next thing I know, all Hell breaks loose and I can’t find her. At all. Anywhere. I did find her tail and a bunch of feathers trailing through the woods away from the coop and towards a culvert.

She came back to the coop about half an hour after the attack, missing all of the feathers on her breast and belly and her beautiful tail. No blood, no puncture wounds, no claw marks, nothing. However, her eyes have been fully dialated since the attack almost thirty-six hours ago. She’s sleeping a lot or at least has her eyes closed, she pecked at some scrambled eggs this morning and missed the mark, but she was able to get up on the roost last night and today and spends some time out in the run with the rest of the flock. She doesn’t really interact with anyone, but looks at me when I talk to her. She drank a little yesterday and this morning, but I haven’t seen her eat since the attack (tho she must have eaten something as her crop has a little bulge this afternoon). Her poop last night was yellow and watery, same overnight. I’ve not seen her poop today.

Yesterday I wrote off the behavior as being in shock. Today, I don’t know what to think. I don’t want to cull her, but if she’s suffering, I don’t have a choice. Should I give her another day? Today is only in the 80’s but tomorrow it’s supposed to shoot up to 97 fricking degrees...

I suspect that she was attacked by an aerial predator. At some point, I think she suffered some kind of head injury as her eyes are bloodshot and still slightly dialated. She keeps her eyes closed a lot but has no balance problems like she might if she had a concussion. Any advice would be very welcome.

This is her before the attack.

CC1AE19E-3263-4B47-B3DD-8EEE56951DD8.jpeg

sourland likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as she is trying, I would give her the chance to recover.

Sequel, Willowspirit and Farmgirl1878 like this.
  3. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    She is coming out of the coop to sit in the run, but she just looks so forlorn... I just wish there was something I could do to help her.

4. You can help her by giving her a chance to live and recover. Since she is seeking normalcy I would let her live for now.

Sequel and Farmgirl1878 like this.
  5. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    Even if she’s not eating?

6. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    Update - when I let everyone out into the yard this evening, she came out of the coop into the run and had a nice, long drink of water! And then she ate a few bites of chicken chow. She even came out of the run and into the yard for a minute before gong back into the coop and hopping up to “her” spot on the highest roost. Once the rest of the flockers came in, she moved down to the lowest roost under the poop deck to get away from the rowdies, but she’s moving a little more confidently. And she nibbled on a few kernels of cracked corn! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for even more improvement tomorrow.

7. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    And obtw, the lab results showed no worms, no coccidiosis... scratching my head over that. @aart, if it’s not cocci causing the diarrhea, what could it be? And their poop smells “different.” Can’t describe it, it’s just not the same as usual.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  8. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    She came out of the run for a minute or two this morning, then my horn dog rooster jumped on her and that was it. She’s back to staying in the coop with the Chicklets and just quietly watching from a safe distance. She did take a few tiny mouthfuls of scrambled egg this morning and I put a small waterer in the coop. Fingers still crossed.

9. Farmgirl1878

Farmgirl1878 Songster

Mar 17, 2017
    Piketon, Ohio
    @Willowspirit and @sourland, she’s doing a little better today! Still moving slower than she used to, but she was chatty with me this morning and was the first one out of the run yesterday afternoon. She even gave Blue the old stink eye!

Willowspirit and sourland like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: