Heat/Cold tollerant breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by carousel, Mar 3, 2008.

1. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    I have a friend who lives High Desert in Southern CA
    She is is currently building a coop and we have been looking at breeds.

In the Summer 110 or hotter happens! But it as they say "is a dry heat"
    in the winter it is often in the 20s at night.

The chickens will have a secure coop as well as being able to range in a large fenced area 60x80' - She also has horses and dogs and knows how to care for animals in general in the heat.

Does she need to be concerned about any breeds not being able to handle the heat?
    she is looking at the following breeds

Silver Laced Wyandottes
    Plymoth Rock barred or Partridge
    Easter egger
    Black Australorp
    Holland
    Sex links
    Rhode Island Red
    Welsummer

Thanks!
    Catherine

2. @migocontodos

@migocontodos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Commonwealth Of Virginia
    I think all of those are pretty good breeds for what the friend is looking.
    No doubt, they will all show more signs of heat distress than with the cold.
    When it gets that hot, what can handle it with ease!?

3. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Brahmas, Delawares and RIR's.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Hey, I live in the low desert, our summers always are 110-120F every day.

I would say most of those listed should do ok, except I did have Welsummers, the roosters died during the summers which surprised me but there it is.

I know people in the area who have or had sex links, RIR and EE, those had no or few problems with the heat.

I would not recommend any large breed with leg feathering, including Brahmas, a friend was a Brahma breeder, she did have problems with some roosters and occasional hen suffering heat stroke.. she had to go all out with water and cooling methods to prevent problems with hers.

The best breed as for the summers are Naked Necks(Turkens), they tolerate the cold well, there are plenty of people who have them out in the midwest so 20's should not be a problem for them. My flock has a lot of naked necks, they just seem to go through the summers better than anything else. Your friend should give 2 or 3 pullets a try..

5. carousel

carousel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    NW Oregon
    Thanks for the feedback do far,
    for those in HOT climates are there some breeds that I listed that lay better in the heat?
    I understand what great stress heat puts on animals, just curious.
    THANKS
    Catherine

6. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    If she would be interested in bantams, I just read that Serama bantams do GREAT in temps 90 to 100 degrees F. However, if the temp drops below 40 degrees F, you may need to provide a light near their roost for extra warmth. The article I read suggested placing them in a warm room with the lights on below 40. My Silkie Serama breeding pair have been just fine at 28 degrees F closed up in the coop. The whole coop is made of tin, and I use deep Pine Shavings on the floor of the coop.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  7. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Egyptian Fayoumis are very heat tolerant and exteremely disease resistant too. Also, great layers! Another woule be Turkens (Naked Necks).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by