heat exposure had my chicken collapse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Azchicken91, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Azchicken91

Azchicken91 In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2019
    So, long story short its been extremely hot in Arizona ~110-115 all week and one of my chickens named Brownie had collapsed from heat exhaustion. I ran out she was flopped over, wings open to the ground, on her right side, gasping for air and eyes open looking up at me needing help. I start yelling for help because Ive never been in a situation like this before. But im thinking its hot she needs water. Pick her up take her to the shade turn the water on and give her a cool bath. Turned the fan on and helped her cool down. As she sits there looking at me im crying my eyes out saying please god dont let her die on me. Run inside grab buckets of water and ice. Ran back outside start cooling her off and added some electrolytes that I bought a while back to help her from all that heat. After 3 hours of electrolytes, holding her, icing her, fanning her and cooling her off. I picked her up from the bath and she tried to walk every few minutes but would flop back over to her sides. I can tell she was extremely weak so I added ice cubes under her wings and comb and back, and I would move each leg when she would flop to her side thinking circulation is what she needs to wake her up. After hours and hours she continues to fight and she would take naps and walk more. Evening time comes her feathers are dry and shes starting to eat. Yet she is still tired but improving. I do hope by tomorrow morning I see her and my girls bright and early all well. Ive never been in this kind of situation. Please give me any tips that would help and if I did the right thing ive never had chickens and im still learning and trying to keep my girls as healthy as they can be. I know god had been with us and keeping my flock strong but that really did scare me. With strong prayers im Hoping for the best and wanted to throw this out there because it was personal and I felt like I should share what experience I had dealing with my brownie. Thanks for listening and hearing me out keep your flocks healthy, loved and good things shall happen. In jesus name Amen here is a picture of the after affects of how she turned out after that scare. Enjoy ur day everyone and keep cool.

Attached Files:

BlueBaby likes this.
  2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

I'm glad that thing's worked out ok for you and Brownie. Make sure they have shade and keep lot's of pan's of water out there and water in something that they can stand in too. It will help to keep them hydrated, and the water to stand in will help too. You can also put up one of those small mister systems.

Azchicken91 likes this.
  3. Azchicken91

Azchicken91 In the Brooder

Mar 25, 2019
    Thank you. I usually have water bowls all over because ive noticed they like to stand in the water as well. But do you know where they sell mister systems?

BlueBaby likes this.
  4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Here are some more links with more idea's on how to keep them cool.
    https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/7-ways-to-keep-your-chickens-cool-during-summer/
    https://extension.arizona.edu/managing-extreme-summer-temps-backyard-chickens
    Keep an eye on her, since she is recovering she is more susceptible to another heat stroke or stress. I lost one earlier this summer, she had underlying health issues that were not known until necropsy which likely contributed to her not being as able to handle the high temps.

Azchicken91 likes this.
  5. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Walmart.

Azchicken91 likes this.
  6. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

I bought a mister at Lowes. They had it in stock. I just brought one of my girls inside in the AC, she’s in an airline crate eating scrambled eggs. She just stopped panting. I’ll put her back outside when the sun goes down. It’s crazy hot here and 101 in the coop! Their run and outside area seems bearable, and I put a sprinkler up in the yard so they have wet grass to walkthru. They will not stand in the water bowls I put outside.

7. Tortoise

Tortoise Songster

Aug 19, 2018
    Chicago
    You can use fans with frozen water jugs attached to the back of the fan. This will blow cool air instead of just hot air. The sprinkler works as not only gives wet cooling grass but when/if wind blows will blow a cooling mist.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: