Heat for Chicks in Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cluckn Crazy, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Everyone seems so against heat lamps in the coop, which I agree makes sense. However, I want to put 2-3 week old chicks in my coop, and they will need heat for awhile at least, so what does everyone suggest?

2. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have always used a heat lamp. So far, I have used it for a total of 5 or 6 different batches of chicks, and all went well. I wouldn't think there are any other ways to heat your chicks unless you buy a whole brooder.
    As long as it is safe for your chicks, and they can't get too hot, they should be fine. Just make sure they have shade. Good Luck :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think most folks who are against it feel that way because of the safety issue. Fires have been started through carelessness. I would suggest hanging the lamp from an affixed chain. Add a wire (or another chain) that is attached to a different point, so that your lamp is doubly secure and there is minimal risk of it touching bedding, chicks, or any other flamable object.

4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I have a 250watt white heat lamp in my coop. Reading the last post, I will have to wire the lamp to it's post after work tomorrow. It's a 'clamp brooder' lamp.

5. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    i did mine attached to metal hooks with zip ties... never going to come down!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by