Heat for Chicks!

A 40 to 60 watt incandescent bulb will have a surfae temperature of about 200 F. That's too hot for a chick to sit on but they will huddle around it. It is not hot enough to melt most plastics or scorch cottom fabric or wood.

Welcome to the forum from Louisiana, glad you joined.

My usual comment with a heat lamp. If you use one, throw that clamp away and secure it in place with wire or chain. Don't use string or plastic that can burn or melt. The clamp can fail. Secure it in place so it can't fall and you remove most of the fire danger.

People use heating pads or incandescent bulbs as mentioned above. Many people use heat plates. Do a search on them. For larger numbers of chicks, especially outside, a "hover" or "Ohio Brooder" can be used. Some people use emitters or other things for heating reptiles. Some people have had success with a wooly hen. The ancient Egyptians (think back to when they were building the pyramids) incubated eggs and brooded chicks using fire and pipes to transmit the heat. Incubating and brooding chicks isn't a modern invention but methods have gotten a lot easier with electricity.

How many you are brooding and where you are brooding them can make one of these options better than others. There are little tricks or details that maybe important in how well they work. But there are all kinds of options other than heat lamps.

I floor brood my chicks in an unheated coop. I use a 1950 era Ohio brooder or a GQF radiant heater. I like that the only light is from a dim pilot light. That lets you know when the heating elements are on. They are both controlled by a thermostat. Which saves electricity and doesn’t allow the chicks to get overheated.

Personally, and I do mean personally, I wouldn't risk anything other than a lamp with quail. They're.... special little chicks and get lost in an empty brooder if the move too far away. The heat lamp seems to help guide then a bit if they can feel it getting warmer in a certain direction.

Back
Top Bottom