Heat For Winter?

Raptor Chicken

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
Dinwiddie, VA
My Coop
My Coop
So we got our chicks 7/9/22. They're fully feathered and doing well in our set up.

Obviously we had a heating lamp for the brooding box stage but since fall and soon after winter are approaching we are wondering if they will still need heat in the coop with their adult feathers.

We've read various opinions on this and would like to know what the "flock" here thinks.

If you think it is needed share your opinion on the best method. A heating lamp in our small coop would be crowded and possibly too hot.

Cluck away!

No heat unless you're in the Yukon, they'll be fine. Just make sure they're well ventilated and draft free.

I appreciate the response but that seems to contradict itself.

I put gable vents in the gables of our coop when we got it. And its certainly not sealed in terms of air or wind neccesarily getting in.

Here's a pic for reference (before the vents)...

20220717_184136.jpg

that seems to contradict itself.
It isn't.
You need to keep the coop DRY so the birds can keep themselves warm. To keep it dry you need a lot of ventilation to remove the moist warm air. The general recommendation is as close to one square foot of permanently open ventilation per bird as you can manage. Clearly in that coop you cannot manage that.
You have a VERY small coop. How many birds do you have?
Another general recommendation is that you need 3.5 to 4square feet of floor space per bird in the coop. That does not include the nest box space.

It isn't.
You need to keep the coop DRY so the birds can keep themselves warm. To keep it dry you need a lot of ventilation to remove the moist warm air. The general recommendation is as close to one square foot of permanently open ventilation per bird as you can manage. Clearly in that coop you cannot manage that.
You have a VERY small coop. How many birds do you have?
Another general recommendation is that you need 3.5 to 4square feet of floor space per bird in the coop. That does not include the nest box space.

We have 6 hens, which is what the coop advertised as the max. I know, take those types of things with a grain of salt.

But the sf you're suggesting sounds a little liberal in terms of needs.

Even now when its not cold outside they all huddle together when in the coop for the night. Seems like that would be enough.

I'm new so tell me what you would suggest with what we have.

No extra heat needed, lots of ventilation and draft free and max 2-3 chickens in that coop.

Drafts come from windows (or doors or similar opening), usually placed at roosting bar level. You don't want the chickens feathers to ruffle or they will lose the heat stored in those lovely feathers that is keeping them warm.

Ventilation up high, let's the wet moist air and ammonia escape.

You want air temp in the coop or match the outside temp as much as possible and low humidity levels

Also please explain the "you need X amount of ventilation" but "you don't want it too drafty thing".
2CAA8E144C7F_1574876951434.jpg

All the light coming in up high is permanently open along with a ridge vent.
There are 2 pop doors that are also left open year round and 2 windows away from the roosts that are left cracked open year round.
During the warm months, all the windows are left wide open.
which is what the coop advertised as the max.
Those prefabs ALWAYS state they can house about 3x to 4x what they actually should house.
Your pullets have not yet started laying. When they do attitudes change and so does the snuggling factor. Roost time can be very brutal. If they don't have enough space in there they can and will injure each other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom