1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat hanging waterer with heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by limabean, Nov 6, 2011.

1. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    I have a hanging metal waterer. Rather than setting up a platform so I can set it on top of a heater for winter, can I point a heat lamp at it (obviously up out of reach)? Would that heat it enough? And what would the energy consumption be like? I am thinking the heat lamp would double as a heat source for the chickens. They are in a wire coop that is inside an insulated (but not heated) garage.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, obviously it'll depend on what wattage bulb you use, because even the heat bulbs have a wide range (the lowest I own is 50W). I'm sure it would work, but is there a particular reason you don't want the waterer set on something (like the cookie tin or clay pot heaters)?? Most likely just a regular 60W bulb would work fine for the waterer...

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have never had this work....

i dont like setting up the platform because the hens then kick all kinds of stuff in the water.... i keep mine hanging and use a human heating pad wrapped around my heater secure it with a bungie cord and have the pad on low this is enough to keep the water above freezing

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I was going to try this. I bought a nice bulb, changed my mind to ceramic heat emitter(which I also bought), to now I'm going to use a radiator heater. Luckily this heater was never used and my in laws gave it to me. It has setting dial from 0-8 and we plan on using the lowest setting and placing the waterer fairly close to the heater.

[​IMG]

The heat lamp gives off light, unless it's a red bulb, which will make them lay too much(which I've been told).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  5. limabean

Sep 28, 2008
    Dar, are you saying you've tried a heat lamp and it does not work?

I can't imaging wrapping a heating pad around my waterer - it's too small.

The reason I don't want to set the waterer on a platform is simply that it would involve reconfiguring my coop layout and all the inevitable trial and error that would involve. Having the feed & water hanging has worked out great so far so I'd like to find a way to maintain that through winter.

The heat lamp I have is the one I used when they were chicks - red bulb, 175w I think?

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:yes I have never had the heat bulb over the waterer work... now remember that I am Canada and we get to about -25 - -30*C

I cant find the metal waterers at the 2 local feed stores they only had the plastic and the first year I melted the waterer and still had frozen water at the bottom... the top was liquid... my heating pad only wraps around 2/3rds of the waterer but its enough to keep it thawed and then it starts to slush on the reeeeally cold nights i will bump it up to medium or high

7. limabean

Sep 28, 2008
    I am also in Canada (central Ontario).

I meant the waterer itself is too small to wrap a heating pad around.

My waterer is metal.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    heat rises so something under the water or in it will be more efficient.

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:OHHHHHH in that case you may have luck with the heat lamp.... I am using the big 5 gal waterer...

10. limabean

Sep 28, 2008
    Quote:Good point!

Dar, yeah, I only have 5 hens (was six last week [​IMG] ). The waterer is 2 gallons I think.

All this talk is making me dread bring that waterer in and out to change the water in the winter!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by