1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat hardy breed chickens.!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SammileeChickie, Oct 27, 2015.

1. SammileeChickie

SammileeChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Can anyone tell me some good heat hardy egg laying chicken breeds.? It can get to 110 out here in SoCal so I want to get a chicken that can take the heat good. I have a barred rock and EE who are okay with the heat, my EE suffers more with her wings far apart and she pants. But I throw bottles of frozen water in the cage and coop and they have a wading pool.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I would highly recommend Naked Necks. Extremely heat tolerant - not only do they lack feathers on the neck, but they have about 50% fewer feathers over the entire body - and my old Nakeys used to lay the biggest brown eggs I've ever seen - jumbo, really. Great temperaments too; they make excellent pets, and some studies are even showing they eat less feed and are more disease resistant than other breeds! Plus it's always fun when someone walks into your yard and says... "Is that a turkey!?"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  3. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    But will they be okay in the cold too.? [​IMG] sometime at night it can get in the 30/40

4. QueenMisha

Yeah, my Nakeys did fine in snow and 20 degree weather back
    when I lived up the hill a bit.

5. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    I have never even heard of a naked neck chicken lol.! [​IMG]
    Do you think wyandottes will be okay.? Do you have any experience with other chicken breeds that do good in heat.?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    then it's time you investigated them - put "naked necks," or "Turkens" in the search box and learn about them

7. QueenMisha

My Wyandottes do OK. About the same as most medium feather breeds like a Plymouth Rock or similar. My Leghorns and skinny-bodied banties like OEGs always do well, as do pretty much all of my Oriental Gamefowl.

8. astern

astern Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    My Coop
    Mediterranean breeds such as Leghorn , Penedesenca.

9. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    I've had Black Australorps that did well in our heat and humidity (as well in the winter when we get an occasional freeze). They're good layers of big brown eggs too.

10. SammileeChickie

Mar 7, 2015
    Southern California
    Okay Lol.! I will [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by