Heat & Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krange71, Jul 11, 2008.

1. krange71

krange71 New Egg

Apr 19, 2008
    I was wanting to find out if the excessive heat will make the hens not lay. They have been laying fine up until we had alot of rain and heat in the 95 and higher. The heat index has been 101 or higher as well. My hens are only 1 year old. Never had any trouble until recently. Please advise.

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Yes, my hens have cut way back on laying, too, with the heat of summer. [​IMG]

3. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Yes, heat does make them not want to lay. Mine just lie under the coop and sip mint julips. [​IMG]

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    try putting ICE in their water and maybe a fan in the coop where they lay . Its been 96ยบ here with heat index over 100 als and hens are still laying everyday .

Do you have enough ventilation in the coop . How about enough light ?

5. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Sip mint JulipsLOL:lau...

I bought my a fan and a mister and I have good ventillation, I also give them ice water and freeze some apple juice jugs for them. I have noticed a little drop on really hot days but not to bad.

My dh says those chickens get better treatment then he does. He is out mowing the lawn and can't even get an ice water. I told him he has arms and hands and he is a big boy!!!!!![​IMG] I am only a servent to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by