Heat Illness and Drinking Lot of Water

TeresaInTexas

Chirping
Jan 14, 2022
I am new to raising chickens and live in the outskirts of San Antonio, TX. We had a high of 103 degrees yesterday and all my 7 hens (15 weeks old yesterday) did well in the heat. I was constantly watering the grass, they have plenty of shade and cold water with electrolytes, however, one of my hens (she happens to be my favorite) was lethargic and just sitting in the shade yesterday afternoon. I brought her into the home and immediately put her feet/body in tepid water to try to cool her down. She seemed to do okay put still very still...not moving much. Right before sundown I brought her outside and she gradually went into the hen house with the other birds. I did have to help her on the perch. This morning she was still alive (I didn't expect her to live). She is still very still, she either stands or sits near the water. She is drinking water very often. Yesterday when I went to pick her up clear fluid came from her beak. It did not smell. Right now I have her in the house to keep her still and out of the heat since it is supposed to be 103 today. My concern is she's drinking a lot of water, she is not eating, and she is still very still. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance!

Since posting the above post my hen has been drinking water constantly for about an hour. Any suggestions from anyone?

Attachments

• F0D27819-FAFD-448F-A158-7C17FC29B94C.jpeg
    F0D27819-FAFD-448F-A158-7C17FC29B94C.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 5
Have you given her gatorade or save a chick? A little sugar water in a pinch will help. Try some scrambled egg to try to get her to eat.
Yes she and the rest of the hens are on save a chick. She had some runny poop with a little blood in it. She does have some symptoms of Coccidiosis so I am treating her with Corid just in case. Perhaps that will help? She refuses to eat

Yes she and the rest of the hens are on save a chick. She had some runny poop with a little blood in it. She does have some symptoms of Coccidiosis so I am treating her with Corid just in case. Perhaps that will help? She refuses to eat
I thought about coccidiosis when you said you were watering the grass constantly. That can breed cocci.

Looks like maybe just watery cecal to me? Might be good to ask @Eggcessive and @dawg53 too.
I literally just finished giving her a dose of Corid orally and is now in her drinking water. I am also treating the others with Corid in the water. I do not know if it will help, but I am giving it a shot. She is still lethargic, runny poop with some blood, refuses to eat and has a runny crop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom