heat in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mommysongbird, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I am getting our brooder ready, but the temp is REALLY high, 108* high. The lamp is connected to one corner of a 30 Gal. Rubber Maid Tote box, how can I get the temp down???

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Try a smaller watt bulb in your lamp that should cool it down a little.

Dan

3. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:This is a red brooder lamp, can't really find anything smaller that is red and especially for the brooder. I am NEW to all of this. What do you suggest??

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    If you are not going to reduce the wattage, you will have to raise the light higher. [​IMG]

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Heck with that....am using a 100 watt bulb and put a thermometer (finally a use for all the thermometers I bought) inside. It was perfect for the distance I had it and sat between 95-100. The chicks will move away as they get too warm.

My small brooder is in the house where the chicks will say for a few days. The big one is in the garage....old truck bed liner that has been fixed to use as a brooder. Used it last year. THEN I put the bigger bulb in and hang it from a tri-pod....can raise it and lower it as needed. Same thing....the chicks move away and get in the area they are the most comfortable.

Try a smaller bulb and a thermometer and see what temps you get.

(the infra red bulb that was in the light will be used in the garage...but in the small brooder temp got up to 128....a little too toasty for babies)

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since I raise chicks on the screened porch they get adjusted to the light (daytime) and dark (nighttime) from day one. I use a black light or lights for their heat. Keeps the brooder plenty warm enough.

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay, I have turned the box around and set it in front of a dining room chair and clamped the lamp at the top of the chair. The thermometer when in the opposite corner reads 81* and when I put in the corner under the light it is reading 95*. It has only been there for about 10 minutes.

Here is my box:

[​IMG]

You can see the themometer in the corner, is that where it should be??

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Do yourself a favor and secure the lamp in a different way, at least two ways. Clamps fail all the time, fires happen. It's always a tragedy and there are many stories on BYC of the results.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That looks good for a start, will work for a few chicks for a couple of weeks. Just watch their behavior and reduce the heat of they seem too hot (red is good but they'd be better off with a smaller watt white bulb if they get too warm.) How many chicks are you getting?

Agree with Gritsar, I have some week olds in the coop with a lamp secured 3 ways. It might burn out (it's hot here already, light is turned off during the day) but it won't fall.

10. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Okay thanks for the advice. I am not sure what other way I can put it, but I will brain storm on the idea. They are going to be in our dining room until they are ready to go out, so I will figure our something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by