Heat In Little Rock 112!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peeper, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    I lost 2 chicks, 4 hens and 1 rabbit. It just makes me sick.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

That is so sad [​IMG] I feel sorry, hope things get better. The chicks, I usualy lay a few Ice packs in the brooder, for the hens/rabbits it is best to have abig shady spot. You could let the hose run and wet the ground, or plug in a fan. Good Luck [​IMG]

3. barbieszoo

barbieszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Stillwater, OK
    I am so sorry. I am in OK, where it's been brutal too. I lost one of my two silkie girls in mid-July on a 106 degree day, when she went up in the coop to lay an egg and stayed too long and had a heat stroke. I was so upset! I went and bought a mister the next day. It has helped so much! My remaining silkie girl, and now her new "little sister" love it and hang around it a lot, which really helps with the panting and heat stress. That said, I put them both in the bathroom yesterday when it was predicted to hit 114!

4. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My heart is sick...what you all are going through. Know of our concern and prayers. [​IMG]

5. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    I feel for you guys in Oklahoma and Arkansas, I live in mid-Missouri and have been watching the weather in those States, which have been brutal with the heat index. Joplin can't get a break, their temperatures have been in the triple digits also. I just bought a bigger fan for my coop. We'll handle it day by day, this heat can't last forever. Everyone's chickens are in my prayers.[​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sorry for your losses. It's blazing hot here too. [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    It was 110 in the shade here today.

8. busyteacher

busyteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    We lost one of our Buffs to the heat the other day here in TX. It's been getting up to 111-112 during the heat of the day. We had two fans going in there and that seemed to be working then came in one day to find that one gone. We then decided to put a mister in front of the fans and our remaining girls LOVE it! They will stand under it for hours.

9. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    In addition to all of the other suggestions you can find on this site the most important one is to install a misting system.

10. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I am so sorry! [​IMG] This heat is horrible! I just keep freezing water bottles and putting them in their favorite spots. My parents say it has not been this hot since the 80's. [​IMG] If the heat does not take a chill pill soon, I don't know how all of my birdies will make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by