Heat in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by logs and chicks, Mar 17, 2017.

1. logs and chicks

logs and chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    Hello. I know this is a huge debate. But I live in northern Ontario Canada and want some silkies. Our winters are -40 Celsius. Although our coop will be well ventilated and insulated I want a bit of heat to keep the girls comfy but not heat the entire coop. I have seen the chicken chick pushes the. COzy Coop flat panel radiant heater....opinions????would any flat panel radiant heater work as well?

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It is my understanding that Silkies are not as cold tolerant as other chickens. Do you currently have other chickens and know how they are fairing in that weather?

I haven't seen the panels Chicken Chick advocates. But I have seen some people use a heating pad in that same fashion on the wall behind the roost. I think some people have even used heat tape under the roost.

But this product being made specifically for this purpose could possibly work better/safer. On the Amazon reviews, one has your same temps and says it does not heat the coop put does provide a place for them to warm up. Here is the link. With the ratings on Amazon being descent, I probably would try it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products-Chicken-Heater-Technology/dp/B01LX9K1JI

Silkies are fun. Best wishes!

(insert freezing emoticon here... those are some cold temps, brrr!)

ETA: I am in the no heater camp, but doubt silkies will do well at those temps.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by