Heat Issue

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Likenoothergerl, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Likenoothergerl

Likenoothergerl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Land of ahhh'ssss
    At the risk of sounding like a fusser of my new chicks I have a couple questions. It's been and going to be quite hot here in Kansas for the next week or more heat indexes in 108 range. I have my new chicks I got last Thursday in barn in a Rubbermade stock tank. Yesterday when it was the hottest they were laying around panting some so I put the box fan a tad closer to get air movement. I don't want to move them in aircond. house I think that would just be more stress. Any thing to do other than keep cool water, air movement and hope for cooler weather? I know chickens have lived fine and dandy way before I decided to get some but I believe if you make the choice to bring something into your care then thats what you should do Care for them.. getting off my soap box. Also, I have noticed my BuffOrpin. roo chick is a lot smaller than all my other chickes who are supposed to be pullets, The others are Aust.L. Dom. and RH.W.. is this normal will he catch up, he's acting, doing fine.. Thanks for any help..[​IMG]

2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I add ice to my waterer every morning, and also give them frozen water bottle to stand on or lean against in the hot weather..... Give that a try....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by