Heat lamp and chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickencharnewbee??, Mar 23, 2012.

1. chickencharnewbee??

chickencharnewbee?? Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    My chicks are 8 weeks old and fully feathered. We have moved them outside into a coop but keep the heat light on at night? Is it ok to turn light off now? Nights are around 40

2. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    we have our chicks out for the past 2 weeks and they are going on 6 weeks and no heat lamp for them. they should be fine.

3. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    moving mine out at 2 weeks tonight. It's going to be int he 70s till monday. 40s at night and 50-60 during the day next week. I'm moving allt he orphingtons out. They're getting too big for the brooder. Keeping the banties in the brooder for another few weeks.

4. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

It is up to you, but we keep some heat for them at that age and temps (similar to our area). I wouldn't use a 250 watt lamp, maybe an 80 watt bulb (incandescent) as they put out some heat. They may be ok without, but I hate to see birds get a chill when they are still young, it can turn out bad.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  5. chickencharnewbee??

chickencharnewbee?? Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    thank you everyone! Will try the regular light bulb tonite....also going to introduce them in a separate pen with the other hens so they can go to the big coop with the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by