Heat lamp AND white light???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ajlynco, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I've been told that, in addition to the infra-red heat lamp, it's a good idea to add a small wattage white light, turned on in the AM and off at night to simulate the day/night schedule. Any thoughts on this?[​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    If your brooder location doesn't have natural lighting then sure it's a good idea. Cool white florescents or cool white energy efficient bulbs will provide most of the spectrum. If using a florescents with two tubes one warm and one cool provides the full spectrum.

When raising late year chicks you should provide 12 hour or more sun spectrum right through winter. They'll be awake more to feed appropiately to grow to full size prior to egg laying maturity. Sunlight also provides needed vitamins.

3. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I bought young chicks not quite day olds but not feathered and I leave them in a warm window, and heat a bag of beans for them to sit by they love it and no lights at night!! [​IMG]
    Good luck with your babies!!

4. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Egghead, I'll have the brooder in a corner of a room with little light from a window, I'm thinking about a regular incandescent bulb 60-75watt. I'll have 6 chicks. Whatdaya think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by