Heat Lamp Broke - COLD CHICK!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MackenzieLeigh, Mar 29, 2007.

1. MackenzieLeigh

MackenzieLeigh New Egg

Mar 29, 2007
    The heat lamp broke on our batch of chicks. They are around 4 or 5 days old.
    All of them are now warming up, except one that was very cold. I found her on her back barely alive, and now she won't warm up or open her eyes. Is there anything we can do besides keeping her inside a warm towel or near the heater and keeping her warm?

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    What an ordeal!

keeping the chick warm and draft free is your best way to go. Maybe a heating pad under a layer of towels will help.

Good luck!

3. MackenzieLeigh

MackenzieLeigh New Egg

Mar 29, 2007
    We have them inside now and very warm. The only problem is that one chick isn't responding at all, and still feels really cold. I hope she makes it. It looks like the outlet blew, because the lamp is working fine inside now.

I hope she snaps out of it, but its not looking good right now.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

MackenzieLeigh ..... Last year I had a Frizzle hen, get caught in the rain, and she was too scared to go inside. When I found her...she was laying in a puddly.....cold, and barely breathing. I brought her inside....put her in a box with towels, and got the blow dryer. Set it on warm....and blew it into the towels...after about 5 minutes, she was trying to jump out of the box...all better! Good luck, keep us posted!! Try to get that little one to drink water with Karo....it needs the boost!

5. MsSpidersFlock

MsSpidersFlock Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2007
    I had this happen to me once, when I was first raising chicks. I was about 15 actually! haha Vets have told me not to place anything with feathers where a draft could be, wether it be warm or cold, because apparently either are harmful. The heating pad sounds like the best idea going on all of the information that I've been given throughout the years.

Good luck!

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Have you tried putting the little dumpling in your shirt? It works with cold lizards...I know, I've tried it...

7. MackenzieLeigh

MackenzieLeigh New Egg

Mar 29, 2007
    Thank you everyone for your replies!
    I wanted to let you know all the chicks made it through the night. Everyone seems to be doing just fine, eating drinking, peeping and running around like normal. Thank you so much, I was really worried last night.

8. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

Hooray!

9. happyfeetfarms

happyfeetfarms New Egg

Apr 30, 2010
    warm water. Get all of that glass picked up. They eat everything

10. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009