1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat Lamp bulb blew....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The girls are 6 weeks old and the red heat lamp bulb blew...I had a clear one here as a backup...I put it in and it is freaking the girls out.

Can they handle a night or two with the house temp of 69 degrees so I can turn that clear bulb off?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I have read where some are putting theres in their outdoor kennel by six weeks already. I'm new here so I hope you get some good reply's. All I can tell ya is what I have read and I have read A LOT! lol

3. jadell

jadell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    North Carolina
    As long as they have their feathers and the fluff is gone, they should be fine. Mine freak out if there isn't any light.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Well they are feathered but my light brahma still has a fuzzy butt and belly. LOL

They are just raising a ruckus in there with the light on...it is bedtime for them and they know it.

Did I mention they are spoiled?

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    This is why I always keep extras of everything...nothing ever quits working when the stores are still open. [​IMG]

I've used a red Sharpie marker to color regular bulbs before, when my other red bulbs blew at "the wrong time". Skip laughed at me...the chicks were quiet! [​IMG]

Dawn

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Dawn that is excellent...I am sharpie searching now....they are still fired up and it is 2:30 in the morning. [​IMG]

7. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

A six-week-old should have no problem at 70 degrees.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It would be a good time to start weaning them off the light in the day. If your weather is anything like ours they should do okay in the day just watch for them bunching up indicating they are cold because if they get chilled they can still have fatal results from it. I would continue to put a source if heat on at night. When you are in a pinch a white bulb is what you have to use and they will adjust. It is probably the first time they are seeing the world clearly. LOL

9. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I have my chicks in a brooder in the camp trailer (DH is pleased! LOL). The temps here in central AZ are on the rise, and found it was too warm in there with the red heat lamp bulb. I tried a regular white bulb as well and had the same result you have. So, I replaced the red with a standard, 60W black bulb well over a week ago. I moved the older, 5 week olds outside to the nursery coop and the 3 week olds into the larger brooder this past weekend. The 3 week olds are still in the trailer with the black light. Everybody appears to be perfectly comfy in the present homes.

Edited to clarify confusing sentences.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  10. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I started turning the Lamps off during the day at 4-5 weeks and now turn the lamps off at night too (5-6 weeks) They are doing great and the chicks and ducks seem to sleep at night. The cutest part is that my hens sound soooo cute when the snore it is just a little cooing sound. And since they were in the room next to my bedroom I too sleep better:D

My hens seem to prefer the light off especially at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by