Heat Lamp bulb died, using regular bulb

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkoerner, Apr 19, 2009.

1. kkoerner

kkoerner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    My red heat lamp bulb finally blew. I didn't have another so am using a regular household 100watt bulb. It seems to be working for the time being, but I have a question. It is much brighter than the red bulb and the chicks seem much more active (although this could be that they are just getting older). Should I turn it off for a short period every day, maybe even several times daily? Or just leave it alone. Just wondering if anyone had ever used a regular bulb before and what they did. They are almost 2 weeks old.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have been hatching chicks for a long time and have never used a red heat lamp. They will be fine.

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Plenty of folks use a regular light bulb, so you're okay there. And yes, the bright white light will make the fuzzbutts more active (more like sunlight), so if your temps stay okay, you might want to put the light on a timer for the night, so they'll shut up and get some rest (and let you sleep! peep-peep-peep....) You could try a translucent red scarf or something of that nature to filter the light a bit. (just don't put it too close to the bulb.... duh)

4. Tn Gamebirds

Tn Gamebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

If you prefer a red bulb, all you need is a little red spray paint. I usually paint mine for gamebirds if i dont have a red one on hand

5. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I would leave the light on them, they need the warmth. I have two brooder of peepers going at it now. They must not know its past bed time. They will take naps.

6. kkoerner

kkoerner Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2009
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks. I did notice last night that they finally settled down to sleep. But they are definitely more active, running around their brooder and looking so much more alert. I was thinking of just turning it off for a little while during the day so it wouldn't be so bright all the time. Didn't know if it was good for them or not. They are going at it now too. Crazy things, don't they know it is after midnight and they should have gone to bed 4 hours ago?! For all its worth I should have gone to bed hours ago. LOL

7. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Quote:I have gotton used to them now so the noise is O.K. They have finally settled down for another nap. I have a roo that is recovering from some feather being picked in the house and he will start crowing in about 3 & 1/2 hours from now. Now that is loud. [​IMG] I enjoy my chicks being up at night, more time to play with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by