heat lamp/bulb question

jamie78

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I am debating on heating my coop this winter. If I choose to do it, I would have the lamp on a thermocube (thermostat) outlet. I've found incandescant bulbs that produce heat but not light, but I'm not sure I would want to use a 250 watt bulb. I'd rather go with 100 or 150. Can I use one of the lower wattage bulbs in the brooder lamp I bought when my chickens were peeps? It's a 250 watt lamp. Can't seem to find an answer searching on google..... thanks

Jamie

I use the Ceramic Heat Emitters that Reptile people use. My chicks eat and play all day and no light so they get on Big Chicken schedule at an early age.

I guess these could also work on a temperature control. I do not know technicalities. They come in different wattages.

Oh, I do use a lower wattage in my Brooder Lamp. 250 is way to much for my small brooder. So yes you can use lower. just do not use higher wattage.

Thanks, I wanted to be sure before I purchased any bulbs. The ones I'm looking at are the same thing you use then, the "reptile" bulbs.
smile.png
Guess this is what I'll go with then, just trying to make a final decision on whether or not to heat. I live in western PA, and it can hit below zero on occasion and is often in the teens. This is my first winter with chickens and my son and I would be devastated to find frozen chickens in the coop!
sad.png
We have four hens... one silkie, one leghorn, and two RIRs. They are definitely pets, we love them to pieces!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom