1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat lamp bulb

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CowgirlPenny, Feb 23, 2011.

1. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    So, I remember last week there was a big post about how the red ones were a big NO. So, which should I get? My local Co-op sells two 'heat lamps' one is 250watt the other is 150 watt, they are both the same size but aren't red...they are regular white light. Is this ok? Would the 150 put out enough heat?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't know what post talked about red bulbs being "bad." The majority of people use red bulbs for brooder bulbs, so as not to have the appearance of daylight 24/7. I'm currently using a 100W bulb in my brooder. Use the smallest bulb you can that allows for the temperature you need...95 the first week, 90 the 2nd week, etc. Unless your brooder is really big or pretty open, you probably won't need a 250 to achieve those temps. But use your themometer and run a few "tests."

3. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    No my brooder is not huge, I'm only expecting 12 chicks this week. I tried to find the post, couldn't but basically their bulb had exploded and then other people started posting about trouble with theirs. I only scanned it briefly, if someone finds it please link me or bump it.

If I get a regular clear/white light, would 150 watts be ok? I don't have a thermometer. I planned to just watch the chicks to judge whether it was too hot or cold. The bulb is the last thing I have to get!

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
  5. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the ceramic reptile bulb. It comes in a 100W and a 60W. It is much safer. Less likely to cause a fire, solid and hard to break, chicks can get close to it without getting burned and it lasts for 5 years. It doesn't emit light so I just keep a light on in the room for the chicks. This is what they look like.
    [​IMG]

6. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Im getting one of those!! (it doesnt put off light? i didnt know that?!) Thats cool tho! It wont keep them up!

7. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Buy the smallest wattage that will give you the heat you need. I use the 250 watt but my brooder is an outdoor brooder, an indoor brooder I think 100 - 150 watts would be fine.

And don't buy the cheapo ones. They are the ones everyone is complaining about exploding. Ours are the heavy duty bulbs, run anywhere from $15 up to cose to $30.00 each depending on where you get them. I've used some of these for years with no problems. The main thing is to secure it 14 ways from Sunday. Don't just hang it from a nail or something, there are threads here at least a couple of times a month about fires being started in brooders because the bulb fell, got knocked off, etc..

Good luck!

8. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    So how should I secure my light? Its got a big clamp thing on it, I got it at the Co-op. I've seen pictures of the light just sitting over a metal grate over the brooder, is that safe?

Also, that's where I planned to get the bulb,the Co op. They are $10 each, so I guess that would be the 'cheap' ones? Where would I get a better one at? I'm kind of limited since the chicks may arrive tomorrow (but probably Fri, they shipped today) but we have most major stores that are just a short drive if I knew where to go.

I'm interested in that heat emitter too. I assume that's a pet store item only?

I plan to move then outside in two weeks to an outdoor brooder, so I guess I would need a 250 one when that time comes. We've only been in the upper 60's in the days.

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Secure it with the clamp, but also run a piece of small chain or heavy wire from the ring on top to something secure in case the clamp slips off.
    Most feed and farm stores carry the bulbs, just check that they say heavy duty on them. Our co-op sells both kinds here, TSC and the Farm Center does also.
    The heat emitter is only sold at pet stores as far as I know, I've used them in the past with reptiles, but never tried them with chicks.

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have Never Never Never used the red bulbs. I only use a regular 100 wt. light bulb. It has worked over and over and the chicks are fine and are not pecking or anything negative. I have raised 100's of chicks last year alone.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by