Heat Lamp Bulbs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CARS, Apr 22, 2009.

1. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have noticed that alot of the BYCers are using a red heat lamp bulb. I understand the thought and theory behind red lamps but one thing I have noticed this spring is that the only red bulbs available are 250w bulbs. Do they make them in smaller wattage?

I've been in 5 stores in the last week and they only offer the red in 250w.

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yes they make them in smaller wattage, but it is hard to get them locally. You need to buy them mailorder.

250W bulb is too strong and energy hog for indoor use.

I run mine through a dim switch available in any electrical department of Home depot Walmart etc.

3. PQ4evr

PQ4evr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Bellville Ohio
    our wal-mart carries a smaller watt red bulb

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I just bought one at Wal-Mart in the reptile section. 75W

5. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    Most pet stores also have a reptile section and they have smaller wattage red bulbs.

6. KayP

KayP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Does anyone happen to know how far to hang the 75 watt bulb from the floor to get the right temp for new chicks? That would save us lots of trial and error time.

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:That's the one I got from WM, 75 watt and it's the heavy duty hardened glass kind. It also came in blue, green, and anti-bug yellow. [​IMG] It was on the light bulb aisle, they also had the reptile bulbs there instead of in the pet section.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you sure you've looked in Home Depot or Walmart among the regular lightbulbs? You don't need anything specifically labelled heat lamp, any ole bulb will do just as well.

I've got red bulbs in 40w, 60w, 100w and 175w, the first two being regular lightbulb style and the latter two being floodlight style. All work perfectly fine, and I had ZERO trouble finding them (admittedly, in Canada, but hard to imagine US stores would be so different)

Good luck,

Pat

9. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Can LED's or CFL's be used? I feel like a big goof. I'm currently using a 250W bulb in the coop 3' by 3' BUT the coop door is open. I'm running over to Lowes as soon as my daycare kids parents come get them. I broke my 125 bulb when I moved the lamp outside (go figure). [​IMG]

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:LED and CFL bulbs don't put out very much heat.

Since you want the bulb for heat, rather than light, I wouldn't put money into a spendy bulb that doesn't heat very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by