Heat lamp doubled our electric bill. Want to raise more -

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kgdeming, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kgdeming

kgdeming New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    What is the best way to give heat to chicks without causing a jump in the electric bill that is insane? I would like to get a few more chicks - but first have to find a better, more economical way of keeping them warm.

2. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Honestly, I'd recommend a broody hen to you.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's weird. Did you use a 250 watt or several of those? I've used multiple heat lamps with no more than a $10-20 jump in electric cost.

4. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Rocket stove in a brooding shed?

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The Eco-Glow from Brinsea is 18 watts vs. a heat lamp at 250w. It pays for itself in a matter of 2 months.

I have 2 and will never go back! No fire hazard, no 24/7 light to disrupt sleep, no silly dangling cords and safety fears...golden, blissful peace of mind and easy heat for babies.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Are you brooding indoors or out? I brood indoors and find a 250W lamp to be way too hot for them, so I have it on a rheostat, which also makes it easy to turn it down as they feather out. But my lamp is only about 12" above the chicks. The further it is from them, the higher you'll have to turn it up to get the heat to where the chicks are. Likewise, if you are brooding in a horse stall you'll likely need multiple lamps to heat the whole area in order to keep them warm. Perhaps there are some modifications you can make to your set up that will reduce the heating costs?

7. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    What kind of climate are you in? What is your brooder setup like?

8. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I think there has got to be some other cause and/or reason for your bill to double. 1 heat lamp wouldn't make it go up that much.

9. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Quote:X2

We are currently using four 250 watt lights and have only around a $20.00 jump in the power bill. Only one is on 24/7 though, it's been so hot here we only run the other three bulbs at night and on rare cooler or rainy days.

10. chickiepie

chickiepie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    I brooded mine in a rubbermaid tub for the first 4-5 weeks. I stapled chicken wire across a picture frame for a cover, and bought one of those shop lights at Lowes ($6-7) . I found that the tub holds in the heat and I was using first a 60 watt bulb, and quickly moved down to a 40 watt after only a week or two. Of course, you should be careful that you have it all figured out before hand so you don't overheat the chicks, but it worked great for us and was a lot cheaper. (Our average temp inside was 65-68 degrees, so it wasn't like it was warm inside to begin with)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by