Heat Lamp Fire (reccomended read)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChikkenChamp, Feb 17, 2015.

1. ChikkenChamp

ChikkenChamp Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    Mosinee, WI
    heya, Chikkie here...Well, some sad news, and i think this is fair warning to ALL who use eat lamps.

Our duplex burnt down last week, the source of the fire was our heat lamp. Apparently it fell and started the coop on fire. Cinnamon, our last chicken, along with two dogs and everything we owned, went up in fire. a few days from now, i'll be deleting this account. I know i haven't been active on here, nor do my parents wish to own any more chickens.

Please, if you are using heat lamps in the winter, be careful. <3

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Wow! Sorry for all you lost. It's a good warning. I rarely use a heat lamp so I don't worry much. Our house did burn when I was 11 from a lightening strike in awful storm when I lived in FL. I do know what it's like to lose it all and your pets. I feel your pain. Best wishes for you and your family to get back on your feet. [​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I am so sorry to hear this tragic news. I can only imagine what your family is going through. :hugs
    Thank you for taking time to remind us all of the potential hazard this brooding essential can pose.

I hope that things get better for you and your family in the future, and I hope that someday you will have the chance to try your hand at chickens once more despite this accident.

:hugs Take care

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Chikkie, I am so, so sorry to read this. What a tragedy! I trust you and your family are OK?

Maybe, by posting this, your experience can act as a warning to someone else. It can't be said too often - if you must use a heat lamp, make sure it is secured in a way that the animals can't reach it to knock it down or chew on the cord.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by