Heat lamp for baby chicks

thatssewmimi

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
We bought 18 one day old Dominick’s. They are now 19 days old. We have alternating temperatures here in Alabama with some nights still getting down into the high 30’s. Our bitty cage is approximately 3’ x 2’ with chicken wire all around and a solid wooden top. We have it in the garage but it still gets quite cool at night. Our heat source is a heat lamp which is secured on the top of the cage. The lamp seems to be keeping them awake. Is there a better place to put the lamp other than over them? Should I worry about how much sleep the baby chicks are getting?

Do you have a red bulb in the heat lamp? If not, that's the best route to go with a lamp. Any feed store should have them. They shouldn't have regular light on 24/7 by that age.
We do but it still gives off a lot of light. I have ordered a reptile ceramic heat emitter bulb that is 100 watt and doesn’t give off any light but I’m not sure it will keep them warm enough.

if you are using a cardboard box, wood box, or anything else like that, Do not, I repeat, do not use a heat lamp. I know they are cheaper, but instead, use a heat plate from Brinsea. It gives the chicks a chance to feel safe and escape the heat. They also work as a roost!

if you are using a cardboard box, wood box, or anything else like that, Do not, I repeat, do not use a heat lamp. I know they are cheaper, but instead, use a heat plate from Brinsea. It gives the chicks a chance to feel safe and escape the heat. They also work as a roost!
It is a wire cage. The only wood is the top and of course the frame.

when they are not roosting, you don't have to clean the underside, but when they do roost, they will poop on the top, so just rub a wet paper towel on the top to get the poop off every couple days

Hey neighbor I'm down here in mobile kinda cool this morning. The light won't keep them up theyll get up and eat and doze back off. I used to keep mine in a cage like that but finally bought a tarter bin from tsc. I put mine outside at 6 weeks old in that pen I used to use. I bought a producers pride heat plate from tsc to use in the brooder now. Mine is in my shed it was getting way to hot with a heat lamp.

Your heat lamp should be towards one end of the brooder, not over the center. There needs to be a cool side, and a warm side, so the chicks can choose. The brooder plates are easier to use in warm weather too.
I hope your wire sides are hardware cloth, not chicken wire!
Most of use use brooders with solid sides and a wire top. Mine is an old 100 gal. stock tank, I've never used a brooder with all wire sides. Our chicks do go out to their own section of the coop by about eighteen days of age, with two wire walls and a solid corner, and their heat lamp or brooder plate.
Mary

We bought 18 one day old Dominick’s. They are now 19 days old. We have alternating temperatures here in Alabama with some nights still getting down into the high 30’s. Our bitty cage is approximately 3’ x 2’ with chicken wire all around and a solid wooden top. We have it in the garage but it still gets quite cool at night. Our heat source is a heat lamp which is secured on the top of the cage. The lamp seems to be keeping them awake. Is there a better place to put the lamp other than over them? Should I worry about how much sleep the baby chicks are getting?
Chicks are up at all hours running eating drinking. The light should be on 24/7 and at one end of the enclosure so they can get away from it as needed or if they get overheated. They go back and forth.

Back
Top Bottom