Heat lamp for brooder??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LisaR720, Apr 4, 2018.

1. LisaR720

LisaR720 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Houlton, Maine
    Hello all,
    The chicks are coming in 20 days...what is the best way to heat the brooder
    Thanks!
    Lisa

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Poultry keeper12

Poultry keeper12 Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Hey, you should have a heat lamp, out that is what you mean.

3. LisaR720

LisaR720 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Houlton, Maine
    I'm Looking for the best way to heat the brooder is what I should have said

4. Poultry keeper12

Poultry keeper12 Songster

Mar 27, 2018
    Ok, you should most definitely have a heat lamp, they also sell chicken heat plates, which. have gotten great reviews.

Hope this helped, Best wishes!!

5. HenHouse4Life

HenHouse4Life GrandmaOnDuty

Mar 22, 2016
    Mid Michigan
    I use a heat lamp with the red bulb. Chicks need the warmth for their survival and it seems to work the best for me. Temp is lowered by 5 degrees each week and they move to the coop when fully feathered.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have used a heat lamp for years without trouble, but this year I am jumping on the MHP bandwagon. (Just ordered the heating pads today!) Some of the chicken keepers I trust the most use this method and swear by it. The thing I like about it is, it doesn't matter what the ambient temperature is, the chicks will still get consistent heat from the MHP. Check out this thread by Blooie. It's super long, so just start at the beginning, read a bit, then read at random.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

7. I used a Premier heat plate last year in the coop with lows dipping into the 20's
    New chicks came yesterday and went under the heat plate until dark, then I popped them under my broody mama Fluffy and she is taking over!

Gary

8. WhiteRockCrazyBird

WhiteRockCrazyBird Songster

Nov 16, 2017
    central Illinois
    I also will push for the MHP! So much better for your chicks, it mimics a broody hen. Plus they get to enjoy day/night cycles from the beginning, where it's"always daytime" under a heat lamp. Chicks trying to sleep get trampled by those awake. We brought 33 day old chicks home last night, put them in the barn in their brooders with their MHP, and at 26 degrees this morning, they were all fine! IMG_20180402_194113663.jpg IMG_20180404_072848812.jpg
    I made mine from tomato cages I cut and widened into a U. I use the 12 x 24 heating pads. Amazon sells one made by Doneco that is the same as the Sunbeam but about 10 bucks cheaper. You have to buy the one that you can override the 2-hour shutoff so it stays on all the time.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thanks, @bobbi-j - and I can’t wait until you join the Broody Brigade! I’m on my phone so I don’t even attempt to post links from it - who knows where the OP would end up? :lau

A lamp heats the entire space the chicks are in. There's light on them 24/7. All they really need is a spot to warm up. Think of a broody hen with her chicks. Even when it's cold outside, they are running all over the place, just ducking under her to get warm. She doesn't heat the entire brooder -she just warms them directly.

Mama Heating Pad works in the same way. It just warms the chicks. The thread is long. But the first post gives you the basics, which never really change. Then at the bottom of that first post is a link to @Beekissed’s way of doing it, which is to strap the heating pad to the underside of the frame instead of draping it over. I’ve done it both ways.

No matter which way it’s done, it’s critical NOT to use an older pad that’s been folded up and stuffed in the back of the closet, and to use one that either doesn’t have the automatic shut off feature or allows you to change the setting on the control to “stay on”. I recommend the Sunbeam x-Press Heat. Most Walmarts and chain pharmacies carry them, or when I get home I can give you the link to the Amazon page with them. Get the larger one.... chicks grow surprisingly fast!

If you opt to use a lamp, secure it, secure it, and when you think it’s secure secure it again. I won’t have one within a hundred miles of my place, but I full well realize that they are the traditional way to raise chicks.

Good luck! The heating pad thread is huge, but still very active so there is always someone there to answer questions you might have and problem-solve if needed. And welcome to BYC!

10. WhiteRockCrazyBird

WhiteRockCrazyBird Songster

Nov 16, 2017
    central Illinois
    Here's a better pic. I did bring everybody in the house because "I" couldn't handle the cold barn!! IMG_20180404_094023335.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: