Heat lamp for brooder??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LisaR720, Apr 4, 2018.

1. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I used lamps at first but tried the MHP with last spring's batch. I wouldn't use a lamp again unless I had a huge number of chicks. Like 50+. For most of us, an electric hen makes much more sense. It uses a fraction of the energy and you won't overheat the brooder (a common problem for folks brooding small batches in relatively small spaces).

ETA: I had looked at the EcoGlow but it requires a 50F minimum temperature and I brood outdoors in late winter/early spring when it might drop into the teens or soar into the 80s. The MHP can handle all of that.

2. LisaR720

LisaR720 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    Houlton, Maine
    Thanks everyone for all the info. I purchased the heating pad and will try that!

Eilsel likes this.
  3. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Twice I've used a heat plate designed for chicks. They come in a variety of sizes and height adjustable. The one I have uses 62 watts. They are not under a bright light 24/7 so they sleep better at night. However, for the first few days, I've used a heat lamp as it allows me to better keep watch on all the chicks and to compare behavior and health of the chicks and hopefully address any issues quickly.

Good Luck!

4. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My setup has access from the side so I can see under easily. I never thought about this.

OP, if you're still constructing or considering your brooder, I think side access is helpful. They freak out much less when approached from the side, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: