Heat lamp for chicks??

Sixbirds6

Chirping
Mar 7, 2018
Michigan
I just got my 4 chicks, the only lamp they sold was a 250 watt. How do I know if this is too much? What is the appropriate heat for the 4 babes? Also should I hang the heat lamp? They are in a Super Pet guinea pig cage.
Thanks!
-Sixbirds

Usually, 250 watts is overkill unless you're brooding outside in an unheated barn or chicken house. If you're doing it in your house where the temperature stays around 70F, all you'd need is a 100 watt incandescent bulb or a 125watt ceramic heat emitter usually used for reptiles.

But I recommend a heating pad system. It's far more natural for the chicks and saves on your electric bill. See this thread for how to rig one. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

You'll have to keep it higher above the chicks. Put a thermometer on the floor near the center of the lamp. Around 90 degree for new chicks. If the crowd away from the lamp its to hot, if the crowd under it its to cold.

They're running around as of now. I have no way to get into town to get a different light or a heating pad. It's not too warm beneath the light, and I've got it up a bit. Still getting stuff around and I'm now dealing with a crooked shoulder/back so lifting anything is hard. I'll add a picture of my set up in a minute.

Back
Top Bottom