Heat lamp for new chicks

gretahw

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
glenwood springs
We just brought home our 8 new baby Barred Rock chicks--have been looking at your site for weeks in preparation!

We bought a 250 watt red light at the feed store and the problem(?) is they don't seem to be sleeping. They are less than a week old, seems like they would sleep a lot. My son thinks it's the light.

Should I go to the pet store tomorrow and buy an infrared heat lamp that doesn't give off light? They are in a sunroom where they get lots of natural light during the day--this is all about the heat.

Mine have a regular light bulb in their brooder box. They sleep at odd hours, and seem to stay awake more at night. The light doesn't seem to bother them though. Maybe yours sleep at odd hours too?

They are fine. Last year I used a white lamp, this year a red. The red is much better. They'll sleep when they get tired.

They are probably sleeping more than you think. The heat lamp is all about heat. The red ones help with pecking. Maybe they are just not used to it yet. They will sleep when they get tired.
frow.gif

Oh and by the way,
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I too have new chicks and worried about that ...I tried all different types of bulbs....Till I finally realized the little stinkers were probally getting more sleep then I was
gig.gif

Yes...I was........waking up every hour that first couple of 3 nights....going out in the coop in my PJ's with my flashlight.....to see if they were ok....
I now know...they were doing fine and sleeping regardless of the light......they are 3 weeks old now and looking back I see I was a bit of a worry wart.. Your chicks got a good chick mamma!!

welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
frow.gif

The only time mine are perfectly quiet is when they're sound asleep. They slept a lot the FIRST day home from TSC and they just kinda plopped out flat like they couldn't stand up any longer. One was sitting there and just fell asleep and her beak landed in the water dish! (she woke up and moved about half an inch and promptly fell back asleep in the bedding instead)

Now that they are stronger already they sit up more properly, and they make slight peeps and eat almost constantly. It really does seem like they don't sleep much now compared to that first day, but I promise they're doing just as fine as I can tell!

The red light keeps them from seeing red spots or blood and pecking at each other. You seriously can NOT see red stuff under that light, I had to switch to a digital thermometer!
tongue.png

When I brought home 25 chicks I used a 75 watt bulb. Just a regular light and because they were inside my office the temp was good. I left it on 24-7 and they're still kickin'. If fact they are now in an unheated back room on the house and one group has a 100 watt and 75 watt light. The other pen has a white 250 heat light and they're on 24-7 too and they're fine. They sleep and seem to be ok.

Yeah mine are constantly cat-napping all day long.

Since I started taking their food out at night (they are broilers) they have gotten better about sleeping at night, but I think the lamp messes with their little internal clocks.

It's kinda funny cause once I remove the feeder they have a blast for a couple hours scratching around in the litter for any dropped food!

Back
Top Bottom