1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heat lamp for recovering chickens or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lbartsch, Oct 24, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    Some of you may have read that two of my chickens (one a 16 week old SL Wyandotte and one a 16 week old EE) are recovering from a predator attack and resulting stitches. Both had very deep very bad wounds but should recover. The EE may need to have her leg amputated. We'll know in 48 hours. We've set up a little mini-hospital in our garage with the more seriously injured one in a large dog crate to restrict its movement and the other in a 4-foot round galvanized steel horse watering trough that we were planning to use as a planter. The more injured EE has no feathers left on one leg and a huge swath taken off her back were the other wound was, however, most of the time you can't see the wound on her back as her wings cover it. The SL Wyandotte lost a bunch of feathers on one leg and under that same wing. What I am wondering is whether we need to leave the heat lamp on for them or whether we can shut it off so they can sleep better. The nighttime low around here is about 50 degreess but they can't huddle because they have to be separated. We also have one out in the coop who escaped the attack completely. Will she be ok out there all alone? We brought her into our mini-hospital today to visit her remaining flock-mates and they really seemed to enjoy that.

Thanks and I appreciate all your help!

Lynn

2. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    They really love the comfort of a heat lamp and if they can't snuggle, perhaps the lamp would help for the shock of it all and help them relax. I'm sure the healthy hen will be ok, but lonely. Maybe she can stay in a crate next to the patients? Where they can see/ cluck to each other?

3. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Thanks. That's my feelings too. I'd love to keep the healthy hen inside but I've run out of crates!

4. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I would let them have the lamp and I would put it on a timer. When my frizzel was sick thats what we did we let her have the lamp for a hour then off for 2 (during the night) to get some sleep. I would also put a blanket/towel or a stuffed animal in so they can snuggle.

5. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Try using a red heat lamp bulb for them. It should not keep them from sleeping and they will enjoy the heat all night as well.

A stuffed animal is a good choice for them to buddy up to. good luck.

6. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    Stuffed animal...what a good idea! I'll put one in the coop with Babs our RIR and maybe in the crate with Lightball our EE. We are also taking Babs in for "visiting hours" every afternoon and that seems to be making them all happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by