Heat lamp for water

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Easter eggers, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    I was wondering because it is soupsed to snow this week in Flagstaff AZ and I was wondering if I could just put a 250heat lamp over the water to keep it from freezing? I wouldn't want it to keep them up all night but would the red be ok I can also paint a 175 watt with heat resistant red paint. I cant afford a heated base yet but plan to get one.

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    I would not paint a light bulb. That could be dangerous.

I put a 250W red bulb in a heat lamp in my coop each winter. If you want to set the water on the ground under the bulb, that sounds like a good idea. Just make sure the heat lamp is up high and secured in two ways so that it cannot fall and break. For example, you can clip it to the rafters and you can also TIE it to the rafter. Make sure it is not in a place that the chickens can jump up on it. Make sure the cord is not hanging because I have had hens jump up on the cord and perch.

I know there is a ceramic wall heater that is safer and there is a water dish that you can plug in and it keeps the water from freezing. But I put a heatlamp with red bulb above the perch and my hens seem to really like it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by