Heat lamp frustrations

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flying_babyb, Apr 10, 2011.

1. flying_babyb

flying_babyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    So I know they say to move it back a little each day. I started this today (there around 4 weeks) since the temputure outside (which affects our basement) has leveled out. Now all the chickens are sleeping over in the part where its warmest. Im worried there too cold, but I know they need to get used to lower tempatures. Right now there in a half finished (heated) basement. There in the unfinished half near a dryer (which runs alot) and a refrigator (also tends to be warm). Room air temp is around 70. Are my chicks gonna be ok?

2. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Get an inexpesive thermometer from Walmat and place it in the brooder near your chicks. The air temperature where your thermostate is measuring the air temp is not the same as where the chicks. are. [​IMG]

3. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    What temp should it be? There almost 4 weeks and I'm trying to get them ready to move out by June 1st when Chuckberg is ready (our coop)

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    If I'm dong the math right I think you should be aiming for around 80 degrees at this point, but more importantly you should judge by the chicks' behavior. If they're sleeping peacefully, and not piled on top of one another, then they're comfortable. If they're too cold they'll be anxious and peep furiously, and try to bury themselves under their neighbors, and generally raise a ruckus. I have to admit I quit watching the thermometer after the first week or so, since they kept jostling it around anyway and it never stayed in the right place long enough to let me know what the actual temp was. Instead I observed their behavior, and adjusted the height of the heater accordingly. Besides, by June 1 your babies will be close to 10 weeks - plenty old enough to rough it outside (and the temps at that time of year are mild anyway).
    Love the name of your coop!

5. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    They seem ok, there doing the buddy sleeping thing. There laying side by side in the brooder, but one is laying in her bowl. they arnt noisy and seem ok. I was just worried since they all insist on sleeping in one spot. Guess Im just a worrying first time chicken raiser.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They will sleep cuddled together. That was a good description above of piling, which they do when they are too cold. Actually, I would say 75 is the right temp now. It's getting close to time to turn the heat off if they are indoors. But I agree, go by their behavior.

7. flying_babyb

Mar 18, 2011
    Chick land
    Im nervious to turn it off completly. I know the temputure flucatates here in the basement. Im just worrie that If I turn it off they will get to cold and die while I sleep. Im a worrier, if you havent already guessed.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

At four weeks, they are quite hardy. Any additional warmth from a light bulb, added to ambient temperatures of 50 or more, and they will be fine. I personally cannot even imagine keeping them indoors until they are 10 weeks old. We have pullets that begin laying at 16 weeks.
    At 10 weeks they are huge!!! Will pooping giant boulders. Cannot imagine the smell.

Also, at 7 weeks, which will be early May, they should be outside, with fresh air and exploring their world. I'd adjust that date to May 1st, but YMMV.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by