HEAT LAMP HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by screaminchicken, Dec 18, 2013.

1. screaminchicken

screaminchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    North Carolina
    If I put a heat lamp on my 6 banty hens will they lay? They haven't layed since it started getting cold.. need help cause I want to hatch them out, roosters and hens just hatched out8chickens last spring

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    It's not the cold weather that stops their laying, it's the lack of sunlight. I would just put a regular bulb light out in the coop to extend their "daylight" to 14 hours.

I would never put a heat lamp in the coop, that is a serious fire hazard.

3. screaminchicken

screaminchicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2013
    North Carolina
    I know its because of daylight but its cold too so I was just going to kill two birds with one stone.. light and heat from the heat lamp

4. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Cold weather in NC is nothing for chicken, when the birds are fine in NJ.

Use CFL, it does not get hot and require small electric load over the wire, this reduces the hazard. It also save you electric bills. I have been using 12 hours with success, but egg laying is slowing again, may need to bump up a little.

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Well you asked for help but it seems you already have your mind made up. Adult birds are fine even in below zero weather.

I was just warning you about the heat lamps. Maybe Aoxa can comment about how she lost her ENTIRE barn, breeding flocks, goats, and guardian dog because of an extension cord and heat lamp in winter .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by