Heat lamp in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jferlisi, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i was wondering about a heat lamp in my coop. It gets alot colder here in arizona then where i moved from and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a heat lamp in my coop. It has two sides that wire, but ill soon be adding drop down cover door/window things to the front for more element protection. Do you think they will need the lamp or will it be beneficial to them? I dont want them getting to cold. Also will my babies need the heat lamp for more than the month or so that it takes to feather out. I am used to southern cali weather. Thanks for any help.

2. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are full grown they don't need the heat if you get babys you will need some heat for them [​IMG]

3. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:Yes but for how long. i am from menifee and out here in arizona atm its in the 30's.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Chicks are usually fully feathered at about 7-8 weeks. It is usually recommended that they start out around 90*F and drop the temp about 5*F per week.
    The 30's are not terribly cold for chickens. They can survive much lower temps.
    You say that you don't want them to get too cold. That's kind of a choice on how pampered you wish to keep your chickens. If you want to add supplemental heat it is OK. There are lots of different ways to do that.

Good luck,
    Imp

5. weimanator

weimanator Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    VA
    chickens deff create a lot of heat by themselves..i forget the actual BTU ratin but all i did for mine was add interior walls with air space and stuffed old clothes, rags etc down in between and put plastic over part of the windows and it is a lot warmer every morning than it is outside. it was 26 other morning and felt a lot warmer inside. drafts are a big issue and jus by sealin those up you will make it so the heat stays trapped in.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Yes but for how long. i am from menifee and out here in arizona atm its in the 30's.

Sudden temperature drops are bad for even full grown chickens. You didn't mention how old your chickens are, but I would continue to provide supplemental heat for them after they're fully feathered, dropping the temp every week 5 degrees until you get down to the outdoor ambient temperature, just to be safe.

This is why a lot of people don't try raising chicks in the winter. In the spring/early summer, the outdoor temperatures make it so much simpler.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You must have some delicate birds. Are they seramas, cubalayas, fayoumis or something else that doesn't like cold?
    If not - No heat.
    Most breeds die from heat and lack of good ventilation, not cold.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  8. Jferlisi

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Most of mine are over a year but i have a few 5-6 month olds. No i dont have anything delicate like serames. My coop has plenty of ventilation but this is there first winter out here. The coldest if got was maybe high 40's.

9. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    ALASKA here and No Heat. Lots of bedding a light to keep them laying over the winter and a draft free well ventilated coop. It has been 15 below 0 already this winter and my girls are happy as long as there is fresh food and water.

10. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:Hello from WY. It's been cold here also and had a question re: your light. What size bulb do you have in your coop and is it on a timer??? And of course what kind of timer and how did you set it up?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Any info would be appreciated
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by