heat lamp in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken pickin, Apr 9, 2012.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    My chicks are 6 weeks old today and we are ready to take them from the garage brooder and finally get them into the coop. We set it up today with the big feeder and water suspended from the ceiling and all the bedding is in and we also set up the heat lamp so they can have warmth if they need it. I was just wondering if you all could post pics of how you set up your heat lamps inside your coops to know if Im on the right track. Im just nerous to not clamp it and attach the security string proper and then start a fire. Im sure ive got it set up good but was just hopiong to get a glimps at others set ups.

Thanks

2. DamselinFlannel

DamselinFlannel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    Coulterville, Illinois
    I have never done a heat lamp or any kind of lighting / electricity in a coop because I'm terrified of starting a fire, too. :-( Good luck! Is it getting pretty cold in New Hampshire? I live in southern Illinois, and I've had my chicks outside without a heater for about a month. They are six weeks old. Even on the nights it's been in the 30s, they've been fine.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Its a little chilly right now in NH with 50s in the daytime and 30s at night. It is supposed to warm up a little over the next week or two so the days will be 60s and nights will be 40s. I think they would be ok without the lamp since I started reducing the heat slightly in the garage brooder a few days ago and they seem fine and the coop is cozy and draft free(I know because I was actually sitting inside it earlier today lol I had hubby close me in so I could test it lol. Im just a nervous new chick owner. My main fear is them becoming a meal to those night creeping creatures.

4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have 24 chicks and 8 ducklings in the coop right now. It is suppose to be 20's tonight here in Wisconsin with a freeze warning. My chicks have been outside since they have been 2 1/2 weeks old but tonight will be the coldest. Normally I have 1 heatlamp in the center of the coop but I just came in from setting up a second just to be on the safe side. The chicks are 6 weeks old and the ducklings range from 2 weeks old to 5 weeks old. I mainly am puting the 2nd light in there to make sure the 2 week old ducklings get some heat if needed. I'm not worried about fires because I secured both lamps. The lamp in the center has rope tied to it and to a large hook that is screwed into a ceiling 2x4 plus the cord is secured to the ceiling also so it wont accidently fall or get pulled down when a chick tried to roost on the cord. The 2nd lamp is clipped to a 2x4 and nails are nailed down and bend over to hold the clamp in 3 different spots, and the cord is secured up the wall and to the ceiling where the plug it. The center lamp had been in the coop for almost 4 weeks now and runs almost non stop with no incidents.

Here is a pic from when we first put the chicks out to the coop. At this point they were 2 1/2 weeks old and only 2 ducklings were here and 1 week old.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by