Heat lamp in NC?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SSCHICK, Feb 9, 2012.

1. SSCHICK

SSCHICK New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    NC
    I've heard and read that chickens don't need heat lamps. I understand the "hardening" process. While I feel bad because it's cold out, I need advice. I'm not sure if I'm helping or hendering. I'm about 20 min away from topsail beach and it's about 30 degrees right now. I went out to turn on the lamp and my big hen is on the roost by herself while the 3 bantams are in the nesting area all huddled up. soon as I turned it on, the hen got down and started eating. Now my coop is not fancy at all. 5'x3' with one end simply closed in with ply wood with and opening that goes to the other side that is only closed in with wire. This is where the roost is. This is not permenant but will have to do until the tax check comes back [​IMG] So do I give them the lamp or no? I just went and looked again. now they are all up and walking around and eating. I work during the day so I'm trying to figure all this out with my schedule. What do ya'll think?

2. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    You don't need lamp for adult chickens... I live in CT were it's cooler and they don't mind the cold weather, you just need make sure the coop doesn't allow to much wind, that's about it.

3. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    I live in New Jersey and I don't use any heating for my 5 girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by