Heat Lamp in Texas?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paith041, Jul 24, 2014.

1. paith041

paith041 In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    I'm getting my first chicks next week. They'll be in a brooder in the garage. We have insulated doors so it doesn't reach 100 in there it does get to the upper 80s. Do I need a heat lamp? Maybe just at night? Or for the first week or so?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Good question. Heat can be dangerous. Brooding chicks in hot weather can be tricky. A few years back in a ridiculous heat wave I turned the daytime heat off at 2 days, the nighttime heat off at 5 days. My brooder is in the coop. How much does your garage cool off at night?

What I suggest is that you use a very large brooder. Maybe get some large boxes and tape those together. Try to give areas so they can get away from the heat and block direct line of vision to the heat to give them protection. Have the top totally open as far as ventilation, maybe a wire top to keep them from flying out. Then set up a low wattage bulb in one corner. In those temperatures a 40 watt would probably be plenty. Or come up with a lower powered heat source of some other type. Keep one area warm and let the rest cool off a lot. If they need the heat they will go to it. If they need to get away from the heat they can.

Then watch your chicks. If they spend time near the heat source they need it. If they get as far away as they can, try removing it or at least raise it up to reduce the heat they are seeing.

3. paith041

paith041 In the Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Thanks. At night it stays pretty close to the outdoor temps, maybe a little cooler. It's definately not 70 like in the house.

4. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I find that all seasons seem to have their little challenges, as to how to keep the birds at a 'wanted' temp. I am brooding Summer chicks as well, and find myself working more to keep the brooder temp lower, than higher. I am using an 8' by 6' open top brooder. I decided to use one of those yellow Brinsea electric hens for this batch. It keeps them warm when they wish and there is plenty of room for the times when they don't want or need supplemental heat. I have just shy of 60 bantums in this batch. They huddle together as needed, or perhaps it just makes them feel safer to stay by one another.

Anyway, best to you and your new brooder group,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: