Heat lamp making water very warm?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelsieann124, Mar 11, 2017.

1. kelsieann124

kelsieann124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    I just received my chicks yesterday, they are roughly a week old, we are keeping them in a metal bin (as shown) This morning when I went to change their water I realized it was very warm from the heat lamp, I would move the heat lamp farther but I don't want them to get cold, any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Hello and welcome !!

I'm sorry to say that is not a good brooder , they will be way to hot because the metal will hold the heat . Also try to rig up something longer so the have a warm zone and a cool zone where you can put out the water.

I'd do it asap because an over heated chick will get sick [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  3. kelsieann124

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    Okay thank you SO much!!!

4. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    And they're so cute!!!

5. kelsieann124

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    I went and felt the tub and it is not retaining any heat at all, even right where the light is, I believe that's why the guy at Tractor Supply said to get it. I took the temp and it says 94. Also, all the chicks are almost constantly right under the light sleeping. If they were too hot wouldn't they be trying to get away? I just don't know. I do not want my chicks to be miserable or die:(

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I do know that TSC uses metal bins but they are very large and the chicks can be under the heat or away from it. If your water is warm, I would be concerned that it could be too warm for the chicks (OK, I admit to being neurotic about my animals.). The brooder should have a warm spot and a cooler spot where the peeps can get away and that is where the cooler should be.
    For only a few dollars you can buy a large rubber type bin which might give you more peace of mind.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Exactly, move the water to the cooler end, they'll find it.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Additionally, the housing used at the retail level is intended to be very temporary - generally speaking you hope to "turn over" the brooders at least once a week, sometimes twice, in regards to the chicks housed in your store.......it's not unlike the purposeful overcrowding often used in retail fish stores, etc that can lead to a misperception about the right stocking levels for the home environment.

In looking at your brooder the spot directly under the lamp would be the cooler part of the brooder - the angle of your light has it shining towards the feed/water station so the heat is being directed there, not in the area directly under the lamp.
    Generally speaking, you want a brooder that allows 1.5-2 square feet per chick - excluding the area occupied by feed, water, etc. Also, a brooder that is shaped in such a way as to allow for a warm and cool zone. In the case of your brooder there really is no "cool" zone that can form. A long brooder allows to focus the warmth at one end, place the feed/water at the far end and the length of the brooder to have the variance in temperature that allows for healthier development in your chicks.

9. snow5164

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    If you use a heat lamp please wire it in place that clamp can let go and that would be tragic!!

To know if they have a warm zone and cool zone ?? They need to be able to be out of the red circle the lamp makes like this [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  10. kelsieann124

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    Ok. Thank you so much. I just didn't know any better, I thought I could trust the "chicken expert" at TSC. Guess not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by