Heat lamp & nearly a fire - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PAzoo2, May 25, 2011.

1. PAzoo2

PAzoo2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Dover, PA 17315
    there has to be a better, safer alternative to a lamp and 250 watt bulb - Has any one purchased a Brinsea brooder? Or build a brooder using 2 regular bulbs... Would this provide enough warmth - yet prevent a fire if knocked over? Thank you.

2. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I know, lose sleep at night worrying about fires. We have one lamp that clips on and one that hangs. I like the one that hangs. I make sure it is very very secure.

3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    If you have a small brooder, the big heat lamp is probably too much anyway. You can get smaller heat lamps designed for use with reptiles at the pet store.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    i bought ecoglows so i didn't have to worry about it....much better.....

5. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I have my brooder lamp attached to the stand of a regular floor lamp - its completely suspended and away from anything that could catch fire. My chicks live in plastic boxes - but if you're using cardboard, it might be more of a concern I suppose.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
  7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    ecoglow rocks!!! I have two of them and love them.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Being human nature, folks usually wait til the last minute to prepare, or just grab the heat lamp at TSC when buying their chicks, also on impulse, in many cases.

There are bulbs, some with thick, sturdy glass, in various colors and wattages, that are much safer than the ultra-thin glass on the typical 250 watt, red heat lamp. It just takes a little shopping and time to find them.

9. HenoftheWoods

HenoftheWoods Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2011
    Ortonville, MI
    Brinsea Ecoglow! I got my first ever chicksthis Spring and bought lights etc. and became paranoid. Got the ecoglow and they LOVE it. I only have 8 chicks and they are now 5 weeks and a little big for it. Peace of mind is so worth the extra $

10. scatteredeggs

scatteredeggs Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    HI,

I am building a brooder and a hover based on Robert Plamondon's writings. The hover will use two lamps at 2 sides of the hover, could be a total of 250W or 125W depending on the season. I am just starting (barely) but intend to have a commercial operation in the future, (years from now).

I don't have anything to say at the moment based on experience, (i don't have any), but Robert said he started with a few birds and now has hundreds of layers that produce eggs all year round for his eager customers.

thanks,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by