Heat lamp off at night now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Godiva, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have four 6 week old chicks (2 are brahmas that are taking a bit longer to finish feathering in) and one 8 week old chick. I am having to bring them in at night as our temps have been really low (sub zero and single digits) They are coping with the shed cages plus heat lamp in the day - the shed got up to about 40+ today and it was about 70 under the heat lamp. My question is - our house gets down to low 50's at night, can I turn their heat lamp off inside now? I am assuming that since they are mostly feathered in it won't do any harm being in 50+ temps and might actually be good for them [​IMG] Might get those slow coach brahmas to grow those last few feathers a little faster! What do you think?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds reasonable to me [​IMG] But you're still left then with going from 50 down to single digits (when you move them out). I'd almost go with a smaller bulb (or simply move the lamp further away) and leave them out in the shed. It doesn't matter how cold the area gets (well, for the mostpart) as long as they have that warm spot available for when they need it, since the temps are so low there... Just something to consider.

edited hopefully for clarity...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Even though there is a heat lamp in the shed it has some pretty serious drafts still and I am going to wait on putting them out there permanently until we have moved to our new rental where there is a much better shed. I do think that by then they will do ok as there will be no drafts to speak of and there will be a heat lamp to go under too if they need it. But at least they will be that much closer to being adjusted with no heat lamp inside anymore.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sounds good! I didn't realize the shed they were using during the day had drafts. Yeah, that wouldn't be good at all. But you're def. on the right track with working them down temp.-wise [​IMG]

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I know nothing, but, I was told that 75 degrees
    until fully feathered was optimal![​IMG]

6. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Three of them are fully feathered, two have a thinner patch on their backs that isn't fully feathered in yet... this is Colorado and they have to start getting a bit more adjusted to the actual temps here. A chick their age that was with momma hen (which is much easier and what I am more used to!) is already on its own unless you have a devoted silkie [​IMG] Unfortunately we had to do this the artificial way as the hen that was supposed to hatch them went on strike and started to moult instead of sitting on the eggs [​IMG] I can't keep these birds inside forever ... got to get them acclimated as fast as possible without killing them ... fine line to try and balance on there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by