Heat Lamp on All Night?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JacobMaxwell, Feb 10, 2013.

1. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Lately it has been extremely cold and I've had to leave the heat lamp on all night. It is a 175W red lamp that I've read wont keep them up. I checked the weather, and it is going to warm up temporarily soon. I'm not sure wether or not I should start turning the light off at night, considering I'll have to leave it on all night when the weather gets cold again. I don't want to change their system, causing stress, just to have to change it back again. Should I just always turn the light off at night and bring the water in? It seems like a hassel. [​IMG]

2. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Are these chicks or adult chickens?

3. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    Six hens. All more than a year old.

4. Vamvakas

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I live in CT and there's over 3' of snow here and my chickens are doing fine (half my flock are Naked Necks also). I never put heat lamps for adult chickens during the winter nights here and never lost any. But the trick is to have smaller/mid size coops with not a lot of draft going inside, if the cool wind isn't hitting them your fine.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  5. JacobMaxwell

Feb 1, 2013
    I wouldn't have a lamp it it wasn't for the fact that the water freezes in five minutes without it (that is if we're not in the middle of a warm spell).

6. Vamvakas

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Well, I am dealing with a blizzard so my chickens just eat the snow for water so I don't need to worry about water for awhile. If it's just cold with no snow then use the lamp so the water don't freeze.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by